At WAGMC we recognize that learning is a competitive advantage, and we are committed to helping our graduates achieve their full potential by supporting a culture of continuous development and building an innovative, diverse and inclusive internship work environment.
WAGMC’s internship programme aims to give selected and exceptionally talented first degree Ghanaian graduates a unique opportunity to develop firsthand practical work experience in cutting-edge research and laboratory training, with a focus on genetic disorders including Sickle Cell Disease,
and other common diseases acquired through somatic mutations; the first of its kind in Sub-Saharan Africa.
About the Programme
On arrival, interns undergo a one-week orientation to get acquainted with the various activities at all workstations. Our interns don’t learn by watching, they learn by getting involved in hands on training in various molecular techniques such as PCR and restriction-enzyme digest in addition to lab work. They are responsible for the biorepository of sample, sample analysis and results management; working under the good supervision of a Core Lab Leader. Moreover, interns are given the opportunity to be innovative through partaking in laboratory protocols development, optimization and standardization. Currently at WAGMC, interns are undertaking research projects in the area of Sickle Cell Disease. Interns aside the professional skill acquisition are also granted the opportunity to network through community medical outreach and seminars.
Internship programme is opened to first degree Ghanaian graduates for a one-year period. Prospective applicants are expected to:
• have majored in any of the Biological Sciences, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Accounting, Law, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, English Communication, or in Linguistics.
• obtain, at least, a GPA of 3.0 by the time of application
• be computer literate (minimum MS Office & Excel)
• be ready to work under challenging conditions
• be a team player, innovative and exhibit initiative, ambition and drive.
Internship applications for the academic year 2020/2021 are not yet open. Updates will be posted on the WAGMC website in due time.